The RMA Study Group Music and/as Process is pleased to announce the Call for Proposals as part of their tenth annual conference, which will take place at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire on June 30th to July 2nd, 2023.
The conference will address processes of collective music-making and will include presentations, lecture recitals and performances.
The range and quality of the research and performances presented at our conferences since Music and/as Process began in 2013 led us, for this our tenth annual event, to address one of the most fundamental yet complex topics: making music together. This subject has been brought sharply into focus by the fact that our two most recent conferences have taken place online (due to the pandemic in 2021, and rail strikes in 2022). The resulting discussions and reflections on the need for communal and collective music making have given rise to this being the central subject for the conference that sees the RMA Study Group Music and/as Process mark its first decade.
At the heart of the 2023 conference will be an inclusive group performance that will be open for anyone to participate in (more details to follow).
The Music and/as Process Study Group invites proposal submissions in the following categories:
- 20 minute papers (with a further 10 mins Q&A).
- 30 minute lecture recitals (with a further 10 mins Q&A).
- 45 minute workshops – e.g. pieces, practices or concepts for collective performance to be realised by delegates. (Q&A / discussion to be incorporated into the workshop).
Proposals may address the following topics:
- Group dynamics.
- Distributed creativity.
- Collaborative improvisation.
- Spontaneous processes.
- Performer autonomy.
- Creating community within a performance context.
- Inclusive processes for group performance.
- Musicking as a guiding principle.
- Devised processes.
- Using liminal spaces as a tool for participation.
- Using technology and/or live electronics as a tool to mediate and facilitate participation.
All submissions must be submitted as PDFs, and include:
- Details of which category the submission is to be considered for.
- A short abstract / description (250-300 words).
- A short biography (100 words).
- An email contact.
- Where relevant, documentation such as scores and permalinks to audio / video.
- Where relevant, information such as instrumentation, performance space requirements, and technological and set-up logistics.
Please send submissions to: email@example.com
Deadline for submissions: Friday 13th January, 2023 at 23:59 (UTC).
We will acknowledge receipt of submissions within seven days. If you do not receive acknowledgement of your submission, please resubmit it, or contact us via social media:
- Facebook: Music and/as Process
- Instagram: @musicprocess
- Twitter: @musicprocess
The Study Group aims to communicate its decision for all submissions the week commencing 13th February, 2023.
RMA Study Group Music and/as Process 2023 committee:
- Dr Seán Clancy (Royal Birmingham Conservatoire)
- Dr Andy Ingamells (Royal Birmingham Conservatoire)
- Dr Steve Gisby (Independent composer / researcher)
- Dr Richard Coffey-Glover (Independent composer / researcher)
- Dr John Hails (Edinburgh Napier University)
- Dr Sophie Stone (Independent artist / researcher)
- Maureen Wolloshin (University for the Creative Arts)
- Dr Alistair Zaldua (Independent composer / researcher)